Daniel Murphy, 1B, 2B, 3B
Daniel Murphy lives to win baseball games. Translation: he doesn’t belong with the Mets. He belongs in St. Louis. Mandatory Credit: Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY Sports
Full disclosure: I freaking love Daniel Murphy. I love his tough-as-nails persona. I love the fact that he can play multiple infield positions (first base included). I love the fact that he’s clutch in the postseason. This guy has “Cardinals” written all over him. I know, I know. He is a poor defender. His Fielding Runs Above Average (FRAA) mark was negative for the fourth straight season, meaning his glove costs the Mets runs. I don’t care.
More from Redbird Rants
- Cardinals Rumors: 3 pros and cons of signing Carlos Rodon
- What’s next for the St. Louis Cardinals after Contreras signing?
- Report: Cardinals Emerge As Mystery Team for Carlos Rodon
- Cardinals: Trade targets after signing Willson Contreras
- Reflecting on the 2013 Cardinals’ top 30 prospects
Here we have a case of a player who could stand to benefit from a change of scenery. A more structured environment in St. Louis could help him work the kinks out of his glove work. Collaborating with new coaches could help him finally turn that line-drive swing of his into the power stroke it should have been all along. But you know why he really needs to escape from New York? The Wilpons don’t deserve a player who wants to win as badly as Murphy does. The Cardinals do.