Just when you thought it was safe to exhale, along comes another St. Louis Cardinal onto the disabled list.
The Cardinals lost reliever Matt Belisle to the 15-day DL on Tuesday due to inflammation in his right elbow, thinning the team’s relief ranks.
More from Redbird Rants
- Cardinals Rumors: 3 pros and cons of signing Carlos Rodon
- What’s next for the St. Louis Cardinals after Contreras signing?
- Report: Cardinals Emerge As Mystery Team for Carlos Rodon
- Cardinals: Trade targets after signing Willson Contreras
- Reflecting on the 2013 Cardinals’ top 30 prospects
Although Belisle has not had many chances to earn stats, 12 holds in 30 appearances and a 3.00 ERA is nothing to sneeze at.
According to St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter Derrick Goold, the official diagnosis was inflammation. The article did not give a timetable for his return, although elbow issues tend to be touchy.
Keep an eye on Hatley. He had a 1.69 ERA in the minors and 37 1/3 innings pitched. He could be insurance in the event Trevor Rosenthal goes down with an injury. At the very worst, he’s another arm in the bullpen.
Steve’s take: This injury could thin the relief ranks a bit, but Hatley is the wild card. If he comes out swinging before the All-Star break, the pitching corps will look good. Belisle’s loss will be keenly felt, as he served as part of a bridge to Rosenthal.