St. Louis Cardinals: Leadoff options are tricky
What’s the verdict?
So who is the guy, if any, to replace Matt Carpenter in the leadoff role? If I had to pick one, it would be Holliday.
More from St Louis Cardinals News
- The St. Louis Cardinals are closing in on Willson Contreras
- Cardinals: Day 3 of Winter Meetings brings first move and catcher rumors
- Cardinals Rumors: Growing buzz that St. Louis will sign Willson Contreras
- Cardinals Rumors: Here is what Oakland is asking for Sean Murphy
- The St. Louis Cardinals’ 2024 rotation needs work
For a few simple reasons. Holliday has shown the ability to get on base throughout the majority of his career. He can work a count and doesn’t strike out as much as Carpenter or Wong. He also would give this lineup a brand new look and possibly increase the amount of runs being put on the board.
He also wouldn’t be able to ground into as many of those sharp double plays. Holliday would give the 20 home run pop at the top of the order too, something the Cards have valued over time.
Next: 2016 Zips and Projections
While it’s not conventional, if Matheny and Mozeliak are content with this group of young and older Cards, thinking outside the box may be the right method to giving this strong pitching staff more runs to work with and a bigger cushion for the bullpen late in games.
I’m not sure I can handle another season of close 2-1 and 3-2 games again with an overworked Trevor Rosenthal climbing the hill again and again. Score more runs. Think differently. Adjust to players abilities. Holliday can reach base a ton and give you some pop.