The St. Louis Cardinals are a massive piece of baseball lore. 2017 marks the 125th year of the Cardinals existence and contain a treasure trove of great moments.
125 years of St. Louis Cardinals baseball is a wonderful thing. To celebrate, Redbird Rants is thrilled to join our brothers and sisters through the United Cardinals Bloggers and specifically with Cards Conclave (C70 At The Bat specifically) to bring you a special, multi-site tournament recognizing the top 125 greatest Cardinals moments.
This tournament will take place over the course of July, August, and September with a different match-up each week. The tournament will span the sites of C70 At The Bat, The Intrepid STL, and CardsBlog. We will also have our portion here at Redbird Rants.
Each site will post their weekly match-ups and will request that readers, Twitter followers, and Facebook friends vote for the greatest of the two match-ups. Results will be shared and the bracket will continue until we, the Best Fans in Baseball, determine the best of the greatest moments in St. Louis Cardinals history.
The bracket (as it were) was derived by you, the readers and Twitter followers of C70 earlier this year. C70 asked that readers submit to him their suggestions of the greatest St. Louis Cardinals moments so that he could build a tournament. From these messages and Tweets, C70 built the tournament matching-up the top 64 suggestions.
Each site listed above is given their own region of the bracket and we here at Redbird Rants received the Walk Jockety region. Additionally, the tournament is built so that you can visit C70 on Mondays for his match-ups and vote, head to Intrepid on Tuesdays, stop by here on Wednesdays, and finish off at CardsBlog on Thursdays. This schedule will continue until the winner is crowned.
These are the match-ups and dates that we will be hosting our competitions here at Redbird Rants:
- July 12: Ozzie Smith “Go Crazy Folks” HR in the NLCS 1985 vs. Adron Chambers scoring on wild pitch in 2011
- July 12: Lance Berkman ties the game (again) in the 2011 World Series vs. Rick Ankiel showing off his arm in 2009
- July 19: Chris Carpenter‘s dive to first in the World Series of 2011 vs. Pete Kozma completing the rally in the NLDS of 2012
- July 19: Mark McGwire‘s 70th HR in 1998 vs. Willie McGee robbing Gorman Thomas of a HR in the 1982 World Series
- July 26: Bob Gibson‘s 3000th strikeout in 1974 vs. Tom Herr wins “Seat Cushion Night” in 1987
- July 26: Adam Wainwright squaring off against Brandon Inge in the 2006 World Series vs. Lou Brock‘s 3000th hit in 1979
- August 2: Albert Pujols‘ 3-HR game in the 2011 World Series vs. Whitey Kurowski‘s home run in the World Series of 1942
- August 2: Stan Musial‘s 3000th hit in 1958 vs. “The Rally Squirrel” at-bat in the NLDS 2011
More from St Louis Cardinals History
- Reflecting on the 2013 Cardinals’ top 30 prospects
- Cardinals: The best Silver Slugger performances at each position.
- The St. Louis Cardinals are in rare company with this free agency stat
- What Happened to the 2011 St. Louis Cardinals? Matt Holliday Edition
- The St. Louis Cardinals avoided disaster with Jason Heyward
Based on the winners of each head-to-head, we will then work forward through August and into September. By the time the 2017 St. Louis Cardinals season comes to a close, we will crown the top 125th Anniversary Moment.
Visit us here at Redbird Rants on the dates above to hear more of a breakdown and deeper details of each of the match-ups. We will post videos and commentary to help you make your selections. Simultaneously, follow us on Twitter and Facebook so that you can submit your votes there.
For more information on the tournament, head over to Meet Me At Musial and have a listen to the special podcast dedicated to this tournament.
The St. Louis Cardinals sit just slightly under .500 baseball but, had they made a different move during the offseason, they might be in a better position.
Be sure to visit the other sites participating in the tournament as well and thanks for being loyal followers of Redbird Rants! Go Cardinals!