2015 St. Louis Cardinals Pitchers To Watch
Mar 9, 2015; Jupiter, FL, USA; St. Louis Cardinals relief pitcherMatt Belisle
(37) throws against the Boston Red Sox during a spring training baseball game at Roger Dean Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports
3. Matt Belisle
Now to talk about one of the most underrated members of this team. Belisle was picked up in the off-season as a FA and not much has been said or made of him. I would imagine a lot of Cardinals fans are a little concerned with Belisle’s numbers from last season and for your casual fan that is understood. Belisle in 66 appearances last season Belisle finished with an ERA 4.87 and the season before that in 72 appearances he finished an ERA of 4.32. However, it is important to look at two things here one of those is his FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) ERA, in 2013 and 2014 Belisle’s FIP was 3.03 and 3.74 respectively. That’s over a full run of difference in 2013 and in 2014. In comparison with Pat Neshek whose FIP was about half a run better than his ERA of 1.87, which means that his defense made him better than he was by himself.
More from St Louis Cardinals News
- Cardinals Rumors: 3 pros and cons of signing Carlos Rodon
- Cardinals: Here is Willson Contreras’ first message for St. Louis fans
- How do the St. Louis Cardinals stack up with Willson Contreras?
- Cardinals: The insane asking price the Athletics had for Sean Murphy
- St. Louis Cardinals: Ask me anything with Josh Jacobs – 12/8
Another thing to take into consideration with Belisle is getting away from a hitters park in Colorado and coming to a pitcher friendly Busch Stadium. His ERA at home last year was a bad 5.40 but his ERA on the road was much better at 4.25. So, considering those two things and considering that Belisle will be pitching for a winning team look for him to have a solid season for the Cardinals.