Quiet Week expected for St. Louis Cardinals during Winter Meetings
A quiet week is being expected for the St. Louis Cardinals during this week’s Winter Meetings in San Diego.
More from St Louis Cardinals News
- Cardinals Rumors: 3 pros and cons of signing Carlos Rodon
- Cardinals: Here is Willson Contreras’ first message for St. Louis fans
- How do the St. Louis Cardinals stack up with Willson Contreras?
- Cardinals: The insane asking price the Athletics had for Sean Murphy
- St. Louis Cardinals: Ask me anything with Josh Jacobs – 12/8
If anything, the organization would like to see one of their former players elected to be inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame next summer. One such candidate is Ken Boyer, who is every part an equal of Chicago Cubs third baseman during the era in which they played. He’s not the only candidate with a connection to the franchise but he’s long overdue for induction.
The Rule 5 Draft is on Thursday. While the Cardinals will have the 26th selection and currently have three vacancies on the 40-man roster, any teams without a vacancy are ineligible to select a player in the Major League portion of the draft.
The big names to be pursued this week are both Jon Lester and Max Scherzer. Where they end up, who knows. The Cardinals are going to be standing firm on the sidelines. If the price is right, the Cardinals could look for a mid-tier starting rotation candidate. With all the pitching depth, it would seem that this option is unnecessary with both Carlos Martinez and Marco Gonzales fighting for the fifth spot in the rotation.