More from St Louis Cardinals News
- Cardinals Rumors: 3 pros and cons of signing Carlos Rodon
- Cardinals: Here is Willson Contreras’ first message for St. Louis fans
- How do the St. Louis Cardinals stack up with Willson Contreras?
- Cardinals: The insane asking price the Athletics had for Sean Murphy
- St. Louis Cardinals: Ask me anything with Josh Jacobs – 12/8
“He is going to be the ‘x-factor’ for St. Louis [in the posteason],” Martinez said. “I think he’s going to do well.”
Wacha’s season has not quite gone the way that the Cardinals or fans would have preferred. It is nice to see, however, that a future Hall of Famer like Martinez has an optimistic attitude towards what the Cardinals could see from Wacha in the postseason.
It’s not certain yet what role the sophomore pitcher will have in the postseason. It may be as a reliever or it may be as a starter. I’ll leave that decision to Mike Matheny but the Cardinals will get there when they reach that point.
Martinez also touched on the Cardinals’ struggles during the postseason during each of the last two seasons.
“St. Louis is in the habit of making it to that level [the postseason] and then…nothing,” Martinez said. “They make it all the way to the playoffs, exciting everyone and then they seem to fall apart. We saw it last year…St. Louis seems to fade away.”
TBS exclusive coverage of the American League Postseason will get underway on Tuesday, September 30 with the 2014 MLB Wild Card presented by Budweiser.