St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Oscar Taveras plugged in where needed
The St. Louis Cardinals are plugging in Oscar Taveras wherever they can in the outfield.
More from St Louis Cardinals News
- Cardinals Rumors: 3 pros and cons of signing Carlos Rodon
- Cardinals: Here is Willson Contreras’ first message for St. Louis fans
- How do the St. Louis Cardinals stack up with Willson Contreras?
- Cardinals: The insane asking price the Athletics had for Sean Murphy
- St. Louis Cardinals: Ask me anything with Josh Jacobs – 12/8
Tonight, Taveras is starting in right field in lieu of Allen Craig. Over the past week against the San Francisco Giants, Taveras played games left, center, and right.
According to St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter Joe Trezza, finding a spot for Taveras hasn’t been easy on either Mike Matheny or his fellow outfielders.
"“It has been tough on all of them,” Matheny said. None of them like it. That’s really where we’re at. But this is the team we have and we have to figure out how to really get something going and maximize everybody.“Our job is not to make everybody happy. Our job is to win games and maximize everybody’s talents.”"
It won’t be easy to take at-bats away from veterans and I understand that but general manager John Mozeliak would not have made the decision to promote Taveras if they weren’t going to play them.
As the Cardinals hope to see sparks of power in their lineup, starting pitcher Michael Wacha will undergo an MRI on Monday. Wacha has been exercising his shoulder and has also consulted with Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Brandon McCarthy, who also has dealt with a similar injury.