It’s one of the most exciting days of the year! The day before the St. Louis Cardinals take the field for the first game of the NLCS! There have been some interesting news and notes on this eve.
* A.J. Pierzynski has been added to the NLCS roster. Manager Mike Matheny said he wanted “another experienced bat” off the bench. I like this move. He does provide a veteran bat. He has postseason experience. And, when Matt Adams hit the game winning home run in Game 4 Tuesday, A.J. looked ready to go grab a bat.
* Sam Freeman has been removed from the NLCS roster. Marco Gonzales has been a great lefty option for the bullpen. He just has. Another bat is always important. I enjoy watching Sam pitch, but this was a good move for the team.
* There’s been much discussion about Adam Wainwright’s health lately. Waino seemed to admit to St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer Derrick Goold that there is a problem, but not really. Which is comforting. Check out these two tweets:
Waino remains the Game 1 starter and says he’s ok. So this means will be watching on the edge of our seats, holding our collective breath with every pitch…. right? Well. Hopefully not. He’s had a nice long break and should be ready to go. At least that’s what I am telling myself!
* Hall of Fame manager Whitey Herzog will throw out the first pitch in Game 1. Jim Edmonds, who was inducted this year into the first class of the Cardinals Hall of Fame, will throw out the first pitch in Game 2.
* Gerry Davis will be the umpire crew chief for the NLCS. The crew will also include Mark Carlson, Phil Cuzzi, Paul Emmel, Greg Gibson, Bill Miller and Bill Welke.