More from St Louis Cardinals Rumors
- Grading reader submitted trade proposals for the Cardinals
- Cardinals: Left-handed bat options on the free agent market
- Cardinals: Teoscar Hernandez trade sets up deal for Blue Jays catcher
- The Cardinals would make a huge mistake signing these starting pitchers
- Cardinals: Trade proposals for rumored catcher targets
Oquendo was one of six candidates interviewed when the St. Louis Cardinals job came open when La Russa retired following the end of the 2011 season. Ultimately, the Cardinals chose former catcher and then-special assistant Mike Matheny to be the manager. Oquendo was kept on as third base coach.
Oquendo has previously interviewed for openings with the Seattle Mariners, San Diego Padres, and New York Mets. What makes this opportunity different is that La Russa will be the one doing the hiring. The coach is certainly due for a managerial gig sooner rather than later.
“I think my résumé is already made with as long as I’ve been in the game,” Oquendo <a href="told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “The first opportunity (to interview), earlier, I was more excited about it. It’s the first time. You want that experience.
“Now, I know it’s about getting the right guy, getting the right place, getting the right time, focusing on what I can bring. You want that chance to show what you can bring.”
Oquendo, in the meantime, is focused on his coaching duties for the Cardinals during the postseason.