After demolishing the Royals on Friday, the Cardinals continued their offensive onslaught yesterday with an 8-2 victory over the Kansas City Royals. See who excelled after the jump.
- Rafael Furcal, Jon Jay, and David Freese all had two singles. Furcal and Jay drove in a run a piece, and scored three runs combined. Furcal also walked twice.
- Matt Holliday had a 4-5 night, drove in two runs, and scored two runs.
- Carlos Beltran has a two hit night and drove in a run.
- Allen Craig had two hits, including his ninth home run of the season. He scored a run and drove in three.
- Matt Carpenter and Daniel Descalso each had a single. Descalso scored a run.
- Adam Wainwright went seven innings and picked up the win. He gave up six hits, but only two earned runs.
- Mitchell Boggs and Jason Motte combined two pitch the final two innings of the game. They each threw a perfect inning, with Motte picking up a strikeout.
- Tony Cruz was held hitless in a rare day off for Yadier Molina. He did score a run.
- The Cardinals had their usual issue with runners left on. They stranded eighteen runners, with Carpenter leading the way with five. It is good that the Cardinals are hitting again, but they need to hit better with runners on.
3) Rafael Furcal – Furcal recorded two hits and scored two of the Cardinals eight runs.
2) Allen Craig – Craig’s home run put the game out of reach.
1) Matt Holliday – Holliday’s four hits made him the offensive leader for the Cardinals. His average is .297 so he’s very close to the .300 thresh hold.
The Cardinals are going for a sweep of the Royals today in a 1:10 game in Kauffman Stadium. Jonathan Sanchez is making his third start since returning from the disabled list. He is 1-3 on the season with a 5.70 ERA. He goes against Lance Lynn, who is 10-3 with a 2.80 ERA, but is coming off a sub-par start.