There are numerous events getting closer and various items to report from the last couple days. A bulleted format follows the jump.
- The St. Louis Cardinals Winter Warm-Up begins on Saturday, January 14 and runs through Monday, January 16. General manager John Mozeliak will hold a Q & A on Saturday at 12:30 PM CST not long after John Vuch will discuss the minor league system at 11:00 AM CST. On Sunday, there is a panel discussion with members of the 1964 and 2011 World Series Champions. Monday features a session with current manager Mike Matheny and his predecessor Tony La Russa. While the Warm-Up is being conducted, the Cardinals Caravan will be in full swing. It begins tomorrow.
- The Cardinals will meet with President Obama at the White House on January 17, and will then go to the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center to visit with wounded soldiers.
- ESPN announced they would be televising the Cardinals’ season opener, which is also the MLB opener, on April 4th against the Miami Marlins. Who better than the World Series Champions to help open Miami’s new ballpark? The game is part of a seven-game opening road trip which moves to Milwaukee and then Cincinnati for three games a piece.
- Pitchers and catchers will report on February 19th to the team’s spring training headquarters in Jupiter, FL. The first full squad workout is set for February 24. The first spring training game is set for Monday March 5th also against the Marlins.
- The Cardinals signed catcher Koyie Hill to a minor league contract. Hill is an eight year vet, who has caught for three clubs including NL Central rival Chicago Cubs. Hill will compete for the back-up role behind Yadier Molina, though it is unlikely he will unseat 2011 back-up Tony Cruz.
- According to St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter, Joe Strauss, notable minor leaguers who have been invited to spring training camp include; Shelby Miller (click here to read a recent post from Seedlings to Stars on Miller), Tyrell Jenkins, Kolten Wong, Matt Adams, Jordan Swagerty and Zack Cox. These are some dynamic players who could be making some noise in St. Louis in the coming years.
Topics: ESPN, Jordan Swagerty, Kolten Wong, Koyie Hill, Miami Marlins, Mike Matheny, Shelby Miller, Spring Training, St Louis Cardinals, Tony Cruz, Tony La Russa, Tyrell Jenkins, Winter Warm-Up, Yadier Molina, Zack Cox