Last year, the St. Louis Cardinals barely missed returning to the World Series. This despite having Chris Carpenter for only a few games and Adam Wainwright coming back after missing the previous season.
There were other issues too; Raphael Furcal missing the last part of the season and playoffs due to injury and the offense struggled and was inconsistent. That being said let me list to you the reasons we’ll be the World Series Champs in 2013. It won’t be easy, but, we’ll do it. Feel free to comment or call me crazy but, here you go:
- One of the best outfields in the major leagues. Matt Holliday, Carlos Beltran and Jon Jay have the offensive firepower and better than average defense to compete against any team. Allen Craig and Matt Carpenter add capable backup and when you consider Oscar Taveras is waiting in the wings, they also have the depth. And don’t be surprised if Taveras makes the roster after spring.
- Allen Craig has proven to be one of the best hitters in the National League. He has another year under his belt and will only get better. Look for his offensive numbers to improve if he stays healthy.
- David Freese is emerging as one of the best clutch hitters on the team. It appears as if his leg issues are behind him. You can also look for his numbers to improve; especially in the power department.
- Deep, deep, deep pitching handled by the best catcher in the game. Yadier Molina is finally getting the recognition he deserves and he will continue to improve offensively. What better catcher to handle the young pitchers of the Cardinals. You can expect Yadi to bring the best out of the young pitching staff.
- Mike Matheny is a year older and year wiser as Cardinal Manager. He knows his team better and he has the team believing in him.
As the season gets closer, I’ll look at these items in more detail. But, for now, get ready for an exciting 2013 season.
Cardinals lost their first spring training game 8-3 to the Florida Marlins. Freese homered and Matt Adams had two rbis.
Thanks for reading.