The Cardinals took a 2-1 lead into the seventh inning and squandered it last night. The Reds scored three runs in the bottom frame and the Cardinals couldn’t answer back. They ended up losing 5-3. Details follow after the jump.
|WP||A. Simon (1-1)|
|LP||A. Wainwright (7-9)|
|SV||A. Chapman (12)|
|R. Furcal ss||4||1||1||0||0||1||0||1||3||.274|
|J. Jay cf||4||0||1||0||0||1||2||0||0||.312|
|M. Holliday lf||5||0||1||1||0||0||2||0||3||.315|
|C. Beltran rf||4||0||1||0||0||1||2||0||2||.296|
|A. Craig 1b||5||1||0||0||0||0||1||0||5||.304|
|Y. Molina c||4||1||2||0||0||0||1||0||2||.307|
|D. Freese 3b||2||0||0||0||0||2||1||0||1||.292|
|S. Schumaker 2b||3||0||2||1||0||0||0||0||1||.314|
|S. Robinson ph||1||0||1||1||0||0||0||0||0||.256|
|B. Browning p||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||.000|
|F. Salas p||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||.000|
|A. Wainwright p||2||0||0||0||0||0||2||0||2||.057|
|V. Marte p||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||.000|
|T. Greene ph-2b||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||.226|
|A. Wainwright (L, 7-9)||6.1||5||4||4||2||4||1||1.34||4.62|
- Rafael Furcal picked up a single and a stolen base. He also scored one of the Cardinals three runs.
- Jon Jay and Carlos Beltran also hit singles and drew walks.
- Matt Holliday drove in his 57th run of the season with an RBI single.
- Yadier Molina had a two hit game including a run scored and his 16th double of the season. Welcome back, Yadi!
- Skip Schumaker also had a two hit night and drove in his sixteenth run of the season.
- Lance Berkman was activated from the disabled list after the game. He may even start in tonight’s game.
- Allen Craig and David Freese were held hitless. Craig did score a run and Freese drew two walks.
- The Cardinals stranded nineteen runners. Allen Craig led the way with five men left on.
- Adam Wainwright actually had a solid outing going before coming out for the seventh inning. He ended with a line of four runs allowed in six and a third, but that number would have been one run in six innings if he had been pulled sooner.
- Barrett Browning gave up his first earned run of the season.
- The Cardinals found out before the game that Kyle McClellan was officially done for the season. Due to McClellan being arbitration-eligible, there is a good chance he doesn’t get tendered a contract. We may have seen K-Mac’s last outings as a Cardinal.
3) Shane Robinson – Robinson had a pinch-hit single that drove in a run in the eighth. The Cardinals couldn’t complete the rally, though.
2) Yadier Molina – Molina picked up two hits and a run in his first game back from the bereavement list.
1) Skip Schumaker – Schumaker hit two singles and drove in a run in this losing effort.
|Cincinnati Reds||48||38||.558||–||24-16||24-22||363||319||+44||Won 4||6-4|
|Pittsburgh Pirates||48||38||.558||–||29-14||19-24||352||323||+29||Lost 1||7-3|
|St. Louis Cardinals||46||41||.529||2.5||23-20||23-21||429||361||+68||Lost 1||6-4|
|Milwaukee Brewers||41||45||.477||7.0||23-21||18-24||394||400||-6||Won 2||7-3|
|Chicago Cubs||34||52||.395||14.0||20-20||14-32||325||387||-62||Won 2||7-3|
|Houston Astros||33||54||.379||15.5||24-21||9-33||345||421||-76||Lost 2||1-9|
The Cardinals now enter game two and hope to even the series with the Reeds. Kyle Lohse starts for the Cardinals against Mike Leake. Lohse is 9-2 this season with a 2.79 ERA. He has ten starts against his former team in his career and has picked up wins in three of those starts. He currently has a 3.38 ERA against Cincinnati and has been solid on the road this year. Leake is 3-6 with a 4.01 for the Reds this season. He has three starts against the Cardinals in his young career and has picked up a win against them. His career ERA against St Louis is 6.06. Game time is set for 3:05
Tags: Daily Rant