The Cardinals ran their scoreless innings streak to 26 before putting up a run in the eighth inning last night in a 6-1 loss to the Mets. The loss is the Cardinals fifth straight. Did the team have any solid contributors? Find out after the jump.
|WP: J. Niese (4-2) |
LP: J. Westbrook (4-5)
|R. Furcal ss||5||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||1||.319|
|A. Craig 1b||4||0||1||0||0||0||1||0||0||.339|
|M. Holliday lf||4||0||1||0||0||1||1||0||1||.271|
|C. Beltran rf||5||0||1||0||0||0||2||0||6||.284|
|D. Freese 3b||4||1||1||0||0||0||2||0||1||.257|
|Y. Molina c||3||0||2||0||0||1||0||1||0||.335|
|T. Greene 2b||3||0||0||0||0||0||2||0||3||.212|
|M. Cleto p||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||.000|
|M. Rzepczynski p||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||.000|
|M. Adams ph||1||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||1||.283|
|J. Motte p||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||.000|
|A. Chambers cf||4||0||2||1||0||0||2||0||3||.286|
|J. Westbrook p||2||0||0||0||0||0||2||0||2||.143|
|S. Freeman p||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||.000|
|D. Descalso 2b||1||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||1||.242|
|J. Westbrook (L, 4-5)||5.0||9||5||5||2||2||1||1.44||4.23|
- The Cardinals scored a run! After almost three full games worth of scoreless innings, that has to count for something. Unfortunately, they only score one run.
- Allen Craig picked up a hit in his first game back from the disabled list. It was nice to see Matheny put him in the two spot immediately as Craig has shown his ability to hit. A certain former manager would have probably put him lower and forced him to reprove himself.
- Carlos Beltran and David Freese both picked up hits, with Freese scoring the Cardinals sole run.
- Yadi had a two hit game and picked up his fifth steal of the season.
- Adron Chambers spot started for a sick Shane Robinson. Robinson had a high fever so Chambers got the call. He responded with a two hit game and drove in the only run.
- The bullpen was solid in this one. I still have no idea why Sam Freeman is on this team, but Mikael Cleto, Marc Rzepczynski, and Jason Motte combined for two and two thirds scoreless innings.
- They only scored a run. The team has been rocked by injury and was holding up well considering, but obviously the fill-in guys are coming back to Earth.
- Rafael Furcal and Tyler Greene put up 0fers. Greene’s isn’t out of the ordinary, but Furcal has been a hot hitter this season, so it is discouraging to see him get dominated by Jon Niese.
- Jake Westbrook is completely back down to Earth now. He had a good start, but we knew the other shoe would drop eventually. He hasn’t had a quality start since May 8th, and his last five starts have raised his ERA from 1.76 to 4.23.
3) David Freese – Freese picked up a hit and scored the Cardinals first run in 26 innings.
2) Yadier Molina – Molina recorded two hits and a stolen base in this loss.
1) Adron Chambers – Chambers picks up his first star of the season with a two hit game in which he drove in the only run.
|Cincinnati Reds” href=”http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/2012.shtml”>CIN||F||30||23||–||0.1|
|Pittsburgh Pirates” href=”http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PIT/2012.shtml”>PIT||F||27||26||3.0||-0.7|
|Milwaukee Brewers” href=”http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/2012.shtml”>MIL||F||24||30||6.5||-0.8|
|Houston Astros” href=”http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2012.shtml”>HOU||F||23||31||7.5||-0.4|
|Chicago Cubs” href=”http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/2012.shtml”>CHC||F||18||35||12.0||-1.1|
The Cardinals have already locked up a series loss and dropped to third place in the standings. They need a victory today to avoid a six game losing streak and fight back to take the division lead. They send out 5-1 Kyle Lohse to take on 4-3 Dillon Gee. Lohse has regressed since his hot start to the season and has only one quality start in his last four outings. He hasn’t picked up a decision since May 9 and since that game he has raised his ERA from 2.08 to 3.36. Gee has a 4.69 ERA and is making his second career start against the Cardinals.